The Career Prep application is now open.
- College sophomore (graduating in Fall 2023, Spring 2024, Summer 2024)
- U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident (includes DACA participants)
- African American, Latinx, or Native American (if you represent more than one race, one of them must be African American, Latinx, or Native American)
- There is no GPA requirement to apply. However, fellows are expected to maintain a 3.0 GPA minimum while participating in the program
- Career interest in business or technology (but we accept all majors except Law & Pre-Med)
- Ability to complete monthly assignments and attend all virtual or in-person seminars
All application materials must be submitted through our online portal. We recommend completing the application on a laptop or desktop. Please do not send materials (including transcripts) via mail or email. There are five tasks to complete initially as a part of the application process:
- Preliminary Questionnaire
- Application Form
- Recommendation Request
- Resume Upload
- Transcript Upload (Unofficial or Official)
Test scores (ACT / SAT) are optional. Do not spend time tracking them down if you do not have them readily available.
Those selected to continue in the process will have tasks to complete as Career Prep Finalists.
- Video Response
- Partner Questionnaire Survey
- Resume Upload using MLT approved Resume template
Candidates will provide basic information, including:
- Work Experience
- College/University Experience
- Extracurricular Activities and Leadership Impact
- Career and Industry Interests
- SAT and or ACT score(s) are Optional
MLT requires one (up to two) written recommendations. When completing your application, your recommender will be emailed a link to our recommendation form. The form takes approximately 5-10 minutes to complete. When considering a recommender, seek out someone who can speak to your strengths and weaknesses in a professional setting. Your options include, but are not limited to, past or current supervisors, college professors, student club advisors/leaders, and community leaders. Do not ask for a recommendation from family or friends. Please give your recommender sufficient time to complete your request.
You are required to submit a current resume (preferably one page) that includes your professional and extracurricular activities. Get started with your best resume by using this template.
We accept official or unofficial transcripts with all of your classes and grades. Please begin the process to obtain your unofficial transcript as soon as you decide to apply. If admitted, applicants must submit an official transcript.
In the Preliminary Questions, you’ll be asked to make an initial track selection. Career Prep uses tracks to guide the learning of program participants. Think of “track” like you think about your college major–an area of study that will help us guide programmatic material and coach matching. If you already know where you’d like to focus in MLT, you’ll be able to make a selection here. If you’re still unsure, you can select “Undeclared”.
- Real Estate/Housing
- Software Engineering/Technology
Track selections will be able to be updated in the Finalist stage and then during onboarding and matriculation processes on a case-by-case basis.
The Selection Process
After submitting an application, we will do a preliminary review and invite a group of candidates to complete a video response. Those who complete the video response will advance to the second review stage.
Admittance to the Career Prep program is selective. Outstanding candidates demonstrate excellence in the following areas:
Smart Skills (Aptitude & Ability)
Analytical & Critical Thinking
“Scrappy” Skills (Personal Orientation & Mindset)
- Accountability & Attention to Detail
- Self-awareness and Emotional Intelligence
Savvy Skills (Personal & Professional Development)